Jason is a lawyer in the corporate/commercial and securities law group. His focus is on mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring/restructuring, debt and equity financing, secured lending, succession planning, and general corporate advisory services. He regularly advises domestic and foreign businesses in connection with acquisition and divestiture transactions, reorganizations of capital (debt and equity), venture capital, initial public offerings, prospectus offerings, private placements, joint ventures, strategic alliances, and general commercial matters.
Jason is the trusted advisor to many foreign businesses in connection with their Canadian expansion objectives. Numerous public and private corporations rely on his advice in respect of regulatory compliance matters, corporate governance, continuous disclosure obligations, and general securities law issues in connection with TSX and TSXV rules and regulations.
Jason is also counsel to a number of emerging businesses in the online advertising, marketing and technology industries where he leverages his commerce education and industry-related experience to provide sophisticated and pragmatic advice.
In addition, Jason has developed significant experience advising professional practices on legal structure and compliance matters. He routinely advises regulated health professionals (doctors/dentists/veterinarians) on legal structure and wealth management matters.
The following representative matters highlight Jason’s experience, including advising:
- an alternative energy company in the completion of its qualifying transaction under TSXV policies, pursuant to which its shares became publicly traded on the TSXV, as well as providing ongoing corporate/commercial representation and securities law compliance advice
- a large, multinational, leading online advertising services provider, and effectively managing global legal services, including the negotiation of all commercial agreements, day-to-day advisory services, and corporate/organizational structuring/restructuring
- clients in the syndicated mortgage brokerage and administration services industries routinely on regulatory compliance matters
- a local veterinary practice in its sale to one of the largest veterinary chains in Canada and a leading global pet care provider
- one of Canada’s largest automotive dealer groups in connection with various acquisitions and divestitures
- a Canadian Real Estate Investment Trust in connection with the completion of its initial public offering
- a leading global provider of managed M2M communications services in connection with its sale to a large private equity investment firm
- one of Canada’s largest dairy co-operatives in its acquisition of a leading Canadian cheese manufacturer
Qualifications and Designations
B.B.A. with honours Schulich School of Business – York University
J.D. Queen’s University
- Transportation and Logistics
- Food Processing and Food Service Industry
Areas of Practice
- Business and Finance
- Business Structuring and Corporate Reorganization
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Secured Lending
- Wealth Management and Estate Planning
- Canada-US Cross Border
- Commercial Banking
- Corporate Tax
- International Business
- Risk Management