- Bar Admissions
Paul is a civil litigator.
Qualified in Ontario and California, his practice focuses upon the defence of municipalities, insurers, and corporations against an array of personal injury, property, land use and commercial disputes. Paul has handled both jury and judge-alone trials, as well as numerous contested motions and applications. He has appeared before all levels of Ontario Courts, as well as the Federal Court.
Paul is especially cognizant of the need to cater his litigation style to each client's claims philosophy and unique needs on a particular file. As a result, he is equally adept at vigorously defending a proceeding on the merits as he is at procuring an early release on the most favourable terms available to his client.
Paul received several academic prizes while at Osgoode Hall Law School. He is a frequent contributor to the Municipal Liability Risk Management Newsletter and speaks at client and public forums such as the Society of Public Insurance Administrators of Ontario, the Canadian Institute, and the Municipal Law Enforcement Association of Ontario.
Representative Client Work
- Successful defence of summary judgment motion for the Town of Caledon, where Justice Trimble specifically complimented our firm for adhering to local Practice Directions where other parties had failed to do so: Vincent v. Sheard, 2022 ONSC 6046.
- In 2022, obtained an injunction, mandatory order and costs for the Town of Oakville compelling a property owner to remove, at their own expense, a commercial scale athletic facility that was constructed in breach of the Ontario Building Code and zoning by-law. (Oral decision of Justice J. Mills).
- Successfully resisted intervenor motion at Court of Appeal: 2505243 Ontario Limited v. Princes Gates Hotel Limited Partnership, 2022 ONCA 700
- At paragraph 110 of Kawartha Lakes (City) v. Grills, 2021 ONSC 2229, a decision where our client was awarded substantial indemnity costs at the full rate requested while finding an environmental polluter in contempt of Court, the Judge noted that “Counsel for the Applicants were prepared, competent, and highly skilled litigators….All in all, the Applicant was extremely well represented by careful and competent counsel who acted with great professionalism…”
- Divisional Court grants appeal enforcing settlement against a Plaintiff in an Ontario Building Code action: Reid v. Bracebridge (Town) 2021 ONSC 791.
- In Onley v. Whitby, which was upheld on appeal (2020) ONCA 774 with leave denied by the Supreme Court of Canada, assisted in achieving a denial of liability in an occupiers’ liability trial where “foreseeability” of electrical shock was a central issue. Led the damages portion of the trial, where Court denied any assessment for economic losses.
- Counsel for the City of Toronto in the successful defence of a sidewalk slip and fall action: Swani v. City of Toronto, 2018 ONSC 7804.
- Second-chair on 3-week jury trial defending police against allegations of abuse of authority, conspiracy and Charter violations. Court denied costs to Plaintiff as he only recovered nominal award from jury: Renwick v. Durham Regional Police Service.
- Led the defence at a jury trial against economic loss claims brought by a Plaintiff who sustained a "hangman" (cervical) fracture, with past and future income losses assessed at under $10,000.00: Levshtein v. National Car Rental.
- Successfully extricated a personally named corporate director on summary judgment motion despite allegations of bad faith and fraud: Density Group v. HK Hotels, 2012 ONSC 3294.
- University of Toronto, B.Sc. (Hons)
- York University (Osgoode Hall Law School), J.D.
- Canadian Securities Institute, C.S.C.
- Attorney, State of California
- Law Society of Ontario, 2008
- State Bar of California, 2015