Allan is the Managing Partner and chair of the Executive Committee of Loopstra Nixon LLP and is the Global Chairman of LawExchange International, a network of 34 independent law firms and over 2,000 lawyers worldwide.
He became a partner of the firm in 2010 after several years with the Toronto office of a United States based, global law firm.
He is licensed to practice law in Canada (Ontario) and the United States (New York) and manages a global corporate finance and commercial law practice. He is certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Corporate and Commercial Law and by the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada as a specialist in Corporate Finance. His clients include private and publicly traded corporations, large financial institutions, private equity funds and high net worth individuals and families.
Allan leads the Canada-US Cross Border practice at the firm and has particular expertise executing international business transactions on behalf of foreign entities entering the North American market and domestic entities seeking global opportunities. He also serves a number of foreign law firms as Canadian agent counsel.
In 2015 Lexpert Magazine named Allan one of "Canada's Leading Canada/US Cross Border Lawyers to Watch", in recognition of his work on significant cross border transactions.
Allan serves on the boards of directors of several corporations across a wide range of industries including aerospace engineering, healthcare, biotech, shipping, staffing and management consulting companies, where he brings valuable governance and strategic expertise to bear on board matters. He holds the prestigious ICD.D designation granted by the Institute of Corporate Directors.
He holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology from Queen's University, a Juris Doctor from the University of Toronto Law School (where he was an associate editor of the law review and a caseworker at the business law clinic), a Master of Laws degree in Tax Law from Osgoode Hall Law School and a Masters of Business Administration with a specialization in International Business from the Rogers School of Management at Ryerson University. He was admitted to, and completed coursework towards the Ph.D. degree at Osgoode Hall Law School, however left the program to focus on private law practice prior to completing his doctorate. In addition to his four university degrees, Allan holds numerous financial industry designations from the Canadian Securities Institute and has completed the Accelerated Leadership Program at Harvard Law School.
Allan began working in the legal field over 20 years ago as a student researcher for a small litigation firm in his hometown of Timmins, Ontario.
Representative Client Work
- Advised Target Company in $80 Million Dollar Leveraged Buyout Transaction
- Advised NOWDiagnostics Inc. in its Acquisition of ZBx Corporation
- Advised Schedule A Bank in $90 Million Financing
- Active client relationships and regular business dealings in the United States, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Represented California-based private equity fund in respect of $10,000,000 growth equity investment in domestic technology company.
- Advised major Canadian financial institution in respect of over 125 secured finance transactions in both Canada and the United States having transaction values between $5,000,000 and $100,000,000.
- Advised major green energy company in respect of a tax driven reorganization.
- Advised bio-materials company in respect of Canadian stock exchange listing.
Education & Designations
Areas of Practice
- Business Structuring and Corporate Reorganization
- Commercial Banking
- Commercial Leasing
- Commercial Mortgages
- Commercial Real Estate
- Corporate Tax
- Intellectual Property
- International Business
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Secured Lending
- Trade Regulation
- Wealth Management and Estate Planning