Allan Ritchie oversees a broad business law practice covering all aspects of corporate law, taxation, mergers & acquisitions, finance, real estate, as well as wealth management and succession planning. He is the Managing Partner of Loopstra Nixon LLP and Global Chairman of LawExchange International, a network of over 2,000 lawyers in 34 offices around the world.
Allan is a trusted advisor to many of Canada's most successful multi-generational entrepreneurial families as well as general corporate counsel to some of Canada's largest privately held businesses. He is sought after by financial institutions to lead their cross-border initiatives and is a go-to counsel for international private capital players making acquisitions in the US and Canada.
Allan has received numerous accolades for his work in both Canada and the U.S. In 2020, he was awarded the Ontario Bar Association’s Lauren Rachlin Award for Excellence in International Business Law as well as being named to the Buffalo Law Journal's ‘Legal Elite’ list of the most influential lawyers in Western New York. He has been frequently listed among Lexpert Magazine's leading Corporate & Finance Lawyers in Canada and in 2020 was named to Canada's Legal Top 40 Under 40.
Allan serves on the boards of directors IMPACT, (a Nobel Prize nominated non-governmental organization dedicated to improving how natural resources are managed in areas where security and human rights are at risk) as well as one of Canada's largest family owned retailers. He is also frequent speaker on matters of law firm management, strategy and talent development.
Allan is an alumnus of Harvard Business School, University of Toronto Law School, Osgoode Hall, Queen's University and Ryerson University
Representative Client Work
- Advised Target Company in $80 Million Dollar Leveraged Buyout Transaction
- Advised NOWDiagnostics Inc. in its Acquisition of ZBx Corporation
- Advised Schedule A Bank in $90 Million Financing
- Active client relationships and regular business dealings in the United States, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Represented California-based private equity fund in respect of $10,000,000 growth equity investment in domestic technology company.
- Advised major Canadian financial institution in respect of over 125 secured finance transactions in both Canada and the United States having transaction values between $5,000,000 and $100,000,000.
- Advised major green energy company in respect of a tax driven reorganization.
- Advised bio-materials company in respect of Canadian stock exchange listing.
Education & Designations
Areas of Practice
- Business Structuring and Corporate Reorganization
- Commercial Banking
- Commercial Leasing
- Commercial Mortgages
- Commercial Real Estate
- Corporate Tax
- Intellectual Property
- International Business
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Secured Lending
- Trade Regulation
- Wealth Management and Estate Planning