Derek is a Partner and member of the firm's Executive Committee. His corporate and commercial law practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance, private equity, securities law and ongoing advice on business law matters. He has extensive experience acting for national and international public and private corporations and has amassed a diverse client base spread across a wide range of industries. He has been counsel to companies involved in many high profile transactions in recent years, and he has been featured in the 'Big Deals' section of Lexpert magazine on numerous occasions.
Derek also has a vibrant Wealth Management, Trust and Estate Planning practice in which he helps clients with a wide variety of matters, including preparing wills and powers of attorney, assisting with the preparation and implementation of business succession plans, establishing various types of trust structures including discretionary family trusts, implementing tax-driven corporate reorganizations such as estate freezes and guiding executors through the estate administration process.
Before joining the firm, Derek spent several years in the Toronto office of a leading national and international law firm.
Representative Client Work
- Derek frequently acts as legal counsel to buyers and sellers of both public and private corporations in business acquisition transactions over a wide range of industries.
- He also acts for institutional lenders, private lenders and borrowers in wide variety of traditional lending and alternative financing transactions.
- He also assists high net worth individuals in structuring and implementing complex tax-driven estate plans.
Education and Designations
B.A. University of Toronto
LL.B. University of Western Ontario
- Transportation and Logistics
- Business Structuring and Corporate Reorganization
- Canada-US Cross Border
- Commercial Banking
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- International Business
- Secured Lending
- Wealth Management and Estate Planning