Jayson is a battle tested trial and appellate litigator with a broad commercial and civil practice.
Jayson represents businesses and individuals in complex commercial and contractual disputes, employment matters, shareholder and partnership disputes, real property disputes, and negligence claims. He is routinely retained to seek extraordinary pre-trial relief, including worldwide asset freezing (Mareva) orders and other forms of emergency injunctive relief. Additionally, Jayson defends financial, healthcare and legal professionals facing regulatory prosecutions before various discipline committees and tribunals.
Jayson has acted successfully as lead counsel before trial courts across Canada and the United States, and in appeals and judicial reviews before the Ontario Divisional Court, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Federal Court of Canada and the Federal Court of Appeal.
Before joining Loopstra Nixon, Jayson practiced at the Toronto office of a large international law firm and at a litigation boutique in Miami, Florida.
Outside of his civil and commercial practice, Jayson holds a strong commitment to public interest litigation. He has acted for refugees in Federal Court of Canada proceedings and for victims of racial profiling and discrimination before various provincial and federal courts. In the year 2018, Jayson took a twenty-month sabbatical from his civil litigation practice to serve as a trial attorney for the Office of the Public Defender in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
Jayson graduated with a B.A. in Economics from York University, and earned his law degrees from the University of Windsor (LL.B.) and the University of Detroit Mercy (J.D., magna cum laude). He is a member of the Law Society of Ontario and the Florida Bar.
Representative Client Work
- Ahmed v. Hossain, 2017 ONSC 5660 (S.C.J. [Commercial List]): successful application on behalf of board of directors to declare certain actions of organization’s trustees invalid and unlawful and to reinstate board of directors
- Singh v. Concept Plastics Limited, 2016 ONCA 815 (C.A.): successful appeal of two wrongful dismissal summary judgments against an employer
- Canadian Tire Corp. v. Koolatron, 2016 FCA 2 (Fed. C.A.): successfully responded to appeal of government imposition of countervailing duties arising from finding of dumping and subsidizing products manufactured in China and imported into Canada
- Benin v. Drawsplash, 2014 ONSC 2659 (S.C.J. [Commercial List]): successful defense to claim of purported shareholder of interest in successful technology venture
- Shaw v. Phipps, 2012 ONCA 155 (C.A.): Court of Appeal decision affirming human rights tribunal’s finding of racial profiling by members of Toronto Police Services and upholding liability against Toronto Police Services Board for discriminatory conduct of police officers
- Print N’ Promotions (Canada) Ltd. v. Kovachis, 2011 ONCA 23 (C.A.): successful appeal of a trial judgment for intentional interference with contractual relations
- Zhu v. 2127162 Ontario Inc., 2010 ONSC 4219 (S.C.J.): successful defense to breach of commercial lease claim for damages of $868,000, leaving plaintiff with nominal damage award for value of converted property