Michael is a corporate lawyer and member of the firm's cross-border group. He is licensed to practice law in Canada (Ontario) and the United States (New York).
Michael regularly advises Canadian and international companies on significant transactions, including the purchase and sale of businesses, buy-outs, estate freezes, and reorganizations. He is experienced in providing advice at all stages of a deal, from the negotiation and drafting of letters of intent and purchase agreements to the efficient and cost-effective execution of due diligence and closing matters.
Apart from the transactional work, Michael regularly advises clients on various day-to-day legal matters, including commercial contracts, shareholder agreements, regulatory issues, financing, and security issues.
Before his current position, Michael worked at the Toronto offices of a US-based international law firm.
Representative Client Work
- Advised borrowers and Canadian Schedule I banks in respect of over 65 secured financing transactions in both Canada and the United States.
- Advised numerous US and international companies on Canadian legal and tax compliance matters.
- Advised numerous Canadian businesses on US and international expansion.
- Advised US-based growth fund in respect of investment in Canadian technology company.
- Advised California-based private equity fund in respect of debt investment in Canadian technology company.
Legal Qualifications, Bar Admissions and Memberships
Barrister and Solicitor, Ontario
Foreign Legal Consultant (New York & US Federal Law)
Attorney and Counsellor at Law, New York
Ontario Bar Association
Canadian Bar Association
New York State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Education and Designations
B.A. McGill University (First Class Honours)
B.C.L./LL.B McGill University
C.S.C. Canadian Securities Institute
“Canadian Competition and Anti-Trust Law for Trade Associations” - Ontario Road Builders’ Association and Ontario Asphalt Pavement Council - Mississauga, Ontario - April 4, 2019
“Top Legal Issues for US Companies Doing Business in Canada” - Jefferson County, NY Economic Development - Watertown, New York - June 14, 2019
“Cannabis Legalization in Canada” - Procopio - San Diego, California - September 24, 2019
“Managing Common Risks of Doing Business Abroad” – Export Development Canada – Mississauga, Ontario – October 24, 2019
Areas of Practice
- Business Structuring and Corporate Reorganization
- Commercial Banking
- Commercial Leasing
- Commercial Mortgages
- Corporate Tax
- International Business
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Secured Lending
- Wealth Management and Estate Planning
- Canada-US Cross Border
- Commercial Real Estate