- Bar Admissions
Alan Cofman is an accomplished and versatile commercial litigation lawyer. Alan provides dependable and strategic advice to businesses, and he resolves litigious disputes in arbitrations, administrative law, traditional litigation, and appeals. A substantial portion of his practice focuses on the transportation and logistics industry.
Alan’s transportation experience is significantly related to Canadian maritime law. In this space, his clients have ranged from a waterski school, to Great Lakes carriers, to a uranium exporter, and everything in-between. Alan addresses regulatory matters, Transport Canada issues, cargo claims, maritime liens, vessel and cargo arrests, and all manner of navigation-related issues. He also assists in commercial transactions, especially to assess and mitigate risk.
In the transportation and logistics sector more generally, Alan acts for all interested parties, including shippers, carriers, consignees, forwarders, brokers, warehousers, insurers, and others. He regularly addresses federally and provincially regulated activities, including the transportation of dangerous goods and issues governed by the Canada Shipping Act, 2001.
In general commercial litigation, Alan has acted in a broad range of matters, including with respect to shareholder disputes, franchise disputes, the sale of goods, oppression and equitable remedies. He also regularly addresses tort claims, including product liability matters and professional liability, especially broker liability.
Insurance is the glue that holds many of these practice areas together. Alan advises on coverage and other matters.
Alan has appeared in all levels of court in Ontario, British Columbia, and the Federal Courts, before various other courts across Canada, and a host of administrative tribunals and arbitration panels.
Alan has long maintained leadership roles on the executives of the National Maritime Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association and the Toronto Jewish Law Society, and he is active in other groups. Alan also provides pro bono services though Law Help Ontario.
- University of British Columbia, B.A., 1999
- Carlton University, M.A, 2001
- University of Ottawa, LL.B., 2005
- University of Ottawa, Certificat de compétence en français (level 3 of 5), 2005
- Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society, Gold Standard Course in Commercial Arbitration, 2021
- British Columbia
- Canadian Maritime Law Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Canadian Bar Association / Ontario Bar Association (executive, National Maritime Law Section)
- Canadian Transportation Lawyers Association
- Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society
- Transportation Lawyers Association (USA)
- Toronto Jewish Law Society (executive member)
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Water's Edge Festivals & Events (director)
- The Marine Club
- Canadian Board of Marine Underwriters
- Law Help Ontario (volunteer duty counsel)
- Toronto Partnership Minyan