Ian publishes The Battlefront as TheMidMarketLawyer.com and has been providing front line legal advice for more than two decades to companies and high net worth individuals and families involved in mid-market business matters.
Ian practises corporate and commercial law with particular focus on corporate reorganizations, sales and acquisitions, corporate debt and equity financing, joint ventures and partnerships, franchising, and general corporate governance matters. He has varied experience in a wide range of industries assisting owner-operators across Canada and foreign companies on their inbound Canadian legal needs. Ian has assisted numerous companies in evolving from start-ups to successful mid-market businesses and beyond. He has also advised family businesses in various reorganizations and estate freezes to transfer businesses between generations efficiently. Ian draws upon his extensive experience and expertise to deliver practical legal advice to clients on mid-market legal matters.
Ian holds three university degrees focused on business – a Bachelor of Commerce (McGill), an M.B.A. (McGill) and a Juris Doctor legal degree (University of Toronto) on business law. He also has previous work experience in the information technology field, both on the front line and senior management. Ian articled with a prominent Toronto downtown law firm before joining Loopstra Nixon in 1997. Ian is a former Managing Partner and currently serves on the governing Executive Committee of the law firm. Ian also devotes time to the community as a director of various charitable and not-for-profit community organizations.
Representative Client Work
- Represented a publicly-traded transportation and logistics company in the successful acquisition and expansion in the Ontario market.
- Represented a successful entrepreneur in the reorganization and restructuring of a group of related companies and subsequent sale to a publicly-traded purchaser.
- Represented a mid-market purchaser in the acquisition of assets of a national franchised business, including the acquisition of various related international operations.
- Represented a mid-market seller in the hybrid sale of shares of a group of automobile dealerships.
Education and Designations
B.Com. McGill University
M.B.A. McGill University
J.D. University of Toronto
Areas of Practice
- Business Structuring and Corporate Reorganization
- Commercial Banking
- Commercial Leasing
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Secured Lending
- Wealth Management and Estate Planning