Michael is a partner at Loopstra Nixon LLP and the head of the Commercial and Construction Litigation Group. He is a skilled and experienced advocate passionate about helping clients solve their litigation problems effectively and affordably. Michael works with lawyers and support professionals dedicated to providing outstanding representation and excellent client service.
Michael practices in commercial and construction litigation and has appeared in all levels of court in Ontario. He represents clients in a range of commercial litigation matters, including disputes involving creditor remedies, enforcement of security, shareholder remedies, real estate, commercial tenancies, mortgage enforcement, breach of contract, professional liability, fraud, defamation and insurance coverage. Michael also represents owners, contractors, subcontractors and suppliers in various construction litigation matters, including disputes involving construction contracts, liens and deficiency and delay claims.
Michael sits on the Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committee and the Student Recruitment Committee at Loopstra Nixon LLP and has been published in Advocates’ Quarterly.
Representative Client Work
- Successfully represented individuals and corporations in a variety of commercial and shareholder disputes.
- Successfully represented owners, contractors and subcontractors in a variety of construction litigation matters including recently obtaining a judgment in favour of a lien claimant after a five day trial.
- Successfully represented institutional and private lenders in a variety of mortgage enforcement matters.
- Successfully petitioned an individual into bankruptcy before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
- Many successful appearances at applications, motions and trials before Judges and Masters of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
Education and Designations
B.A. (Hons), Queen’s University
M.B.A. Schulich School of Business
LL.B. Osgoode Hall Law School
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Insurance Litigation
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Mortgage Enforcement
- Municipal Liability