Steven is a Partner in the Municipal, Land Use Planning and Development Law Group. His practice focuses on a variety of municipal law matters for public and private sector clients throughout Ontario.
He assists clients with planning, environmental and heritage issues, as well as other municipal approvals. Steven often advises clients concerning municipal law issues such as expropriation matters, municipal by-law compliance and enforcement, freedom of information applications, conflict of interest and election law compliance.
Steven has acted for municipalities, private companies, electricity generators and distributors, and real estate development firms on minor variance applications and consents, official plan and zoning by-law amendments, growth plan conformity exercises, complex municipal agreements, site plan approvals, and development charge appeals.
He has been involved in applications and appeals before municipal authorities and administrative tribunals, including the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (formerly the OMB), the Conservation Review Board, municipal councils, and municipal committees adjustment.
Steven joined Loopstra Nixon LLP as a summer student in 2008, articled at the firm in 2009-2010, and became an associate following his call to the bar in 2010.
Representative Client Work
- Counsel for the Town of Georgina in OMB Hearings respecting an appeal of its development charges by-law;
- Counsel for a private developer in OMB Hearings respecting an appeal of Vaughan’s Official Plan Amendment No. 637;
- Counsel for a private renewable energy company in CRB Hearings respecting an appeal of several heritage designations;
- Counsel for the City of Mississauga on an application under the Municipal Elections Act;
- Counsel for the Township of Scugog in OMB Hearings respecting an appeal of its Official Plan;
- Counsel for the Town of Innisfil before the Ontario Divisional Court on an appeal of an OMB decision respecting its Official Plan.
Education and Designations
B.A. (Hons.) Political Science - York University
J.D. University of Western Ontario
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate
- Land Development
- Land Use Planning
- Municipal, Land Use Planning and Development
- Municipal Liability
- Local Planning Appeal Tribunal Advocacy