- Bar Admissions
Allan Ritchie is the Managing Partner of Loopstra Nixon LLP. He oversees a broad business law practice covering all aspects of corporate law, taxation, mergers & acquisitions, finance, real estate, as well as wealth management and succession planning.
He is well versed in all aspects of corporate law, complex tax-driven reorganizations and succession planning, public and private market mergers and acquisitions as well as all aspect of real property acquisition and finance and commercial lending. He is actively engaged overseeing complex commercial disputes and facilitating out of court resolution. He is supported by a multi-faceted team of skilled lawyers, law clerks and professionals who work tirelessly to deliver results for clients.
A trusted advisor to many of Canada's most successful multi-generational entrepreneurial families as well as general corporate counsel to some of Canada's largest privately held businesses, Allan is sought after by financial institutions to lead their cross-border initiatives and is a go-to counsel for international private capital players making acquisitions in the US and Canada.
Allan serves on the boards of directors of several private and not-for-profit organizations and is a frequent speaker on matters of law firm management, strategy and talent development. He is adjunct professor of law at Toronto Metropolitan University Law School where he teaches Business Law & Practice, the Finance Intensive and his real passion project, Business of Lawyering. In Business of Lawyering, students engage in a critical analysis of private law practice, law firm culture and explore various law practice business models. The course culminates in a detailed business planning project where students will create a detailed business plan for their fictional law firm.
Allan has received numerous accolades for his work in both Canada and the U.S. In 2020, he was awarded the Ontario Bar Association’s Lauren Rachlin Award for Excellence in International Business Law as well as being named to the Buffalo Law Journal's ‘Legal Elite’ list of the most influential lawyers in Western New York. He has been frequently listed among Lexpert Magazine's leading Corporate & Finance Lawyers in Canada and in 2020 was named to Canada's Legal Top 40 Under 40. In 2022 Allan was awarded the Ted Rogers School of Management Trailblazer Award for lifetime achievement in Canadian Business.
Allan holds degrees from Queen’s University (BA), Toronto Metropolitan University (MBA), University of Toronto (JD), Osgoode Hall (LLM Tax), Oxford University (MSc Tax), and Harvard Business School (GMP). He is currently completing his Ph.D. at the University of Exeter Law School in the UK where his thesis is titled “Liability and Legal Issues in Merger and Acquisition Transactions: A Jurisprudential Analysis and Mitigation Strategies".
Allan grew up in Timmins Ontario, but has made his home in Etobicoke for the last 20 years where he lives with his wife and two young children.
- Queen's University, B.A.
- University of Toronto (Faculty of Law), J.D.
- Oxford University, M.Sc. (Tax Law)
- Harvard Business School, General Management Program (GMP30)
- A.L.P. Harvard Law School
- York University (Osgoode Hall Law School), LL.M. (Tax)
- Ryerson University, M.B.A. (International Business)
- University of Toronto (Rotman School of Management), , D.E.P.
- Institute of Corporate Directors, ICD.D
- Canadian Securities Institute, CSC., C.P.H., C.C.O.
- C.F. (CPA Canada), Certified Specialist in Corporate Finance
- C.S. Certified Specialist in Corporate & Commercial Law, LSUC
- New York
- Barrister and Solicitor, Ontario
- Foreign Legal Consultant (US Law), Law Society of Upper Canada
- Attorney and Counselor at Law, New York
- Attorney, United States Supreme Court
- Attorney, United States Court of International Trade
- Attorney, United States Tax Court (D.C.)
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- International Bar Association, Law Practice Management Committee